If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
Last week I was craving some yummy cinnamon-and-sugar-coated Snickerdoodle cookies like my grandparents used to make.
I was all excited to make some when I discovered I was out of butter, one of the main ingredients in my recipe. Arggghh.
I’m a determined sort of gal so I scoured the web for a recipe for Snickerdoodle cookies without butter. It wasn’t easy, but I eventually tracked one down!
I’m sharing my adapted version with y’all below because the cookies turned out so soft and delicious, you really would never guess they are butter-free.
Turns out that Snickerdoodles cookies without butter are just as delicious as those made with butter!
Also, I knew that vegetable oil is cheaper than butter, but when I did the math I was surprised to discover that butter is actually six times more expensive than vegetable oil!
I’m trying to make more of our snack foods as opposed to buying them, both to save money and keep scary ingredients out of our house.
I bake ALL of my cookies on these super affordable silicone baking mats. I’ll never go back to dirty pans or parchment paper again!
I have a feeling this no-butter Snickerdoodle recipe will be in constant rotation at our house.
They even come together in 5 minutes and in one bowl! Now that’s my kind of cookie.
Adapted from Recipes to a Young Poet No-Butter Snickerdoodles
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- For Sugar Coating:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the oil, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon on top, then mix everything together to form a thick dough.
- Form the dough into walnut-sized balls and roll each ball in the sugar coating.
- Place cookies a few inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet, flattening them slightly if desired.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until slightly brown on the bottom. Do not overcook or they will be hard as rocks!
- Adapted from I Can't Believe It's No-Butter Snickerdoodles