If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
I’m sharing my new favorite cookie recipe with you today – these easy chocolate cookies without butter!
They are soft chocolate sugar cookies with a rich chocolatey taste and yummy sugar coating. So so good.
AND they use oil instead of butter making them both delicious and frugal. Did you know that butter actually costs six times more than the same amount of vegetable oil?
So if you are looking for an easy chocolate cookies without butter recipe, I’ve got you covered.
How To Make Chocolate Cookies Without Butter
You make these cookies in a similar way as my no butter Snickerdoodle cookies are made.
You can mix the soft dough in just open bowl if you are careful with the dry ingredients. I suggest mixing the wet ingredients Plus sugar first, then sprinkling the dry ingredients on top.
Then you scoop out walnut-sized pieces of dough, roll the dough into a ball shape in the palm of your hand, then coat the dough in sugar.
This gives them the lovely cracked top with a dusting of sugar.
You make these cookies with cocoa powder so you don’t have to have any baking chocolate on hand. I add a bit of cinnamon to the dough for some depth of flavor, but you could certainly leave it out if you want.
No Butter Snickerdoodles Tips & Tricks
I use a small cookie scoop like this one to get consistently sized cookies. This makes them cook evenly and all turn out perfectly every time.
Rolling the cookie balls in cinnamon sugar is a critical step in getting perfect cookies. Yes, it is a bit time consuming but I promise it is worth it. Don’t skip this step!
And last, the dough will seem a bit greasy compared to traditional cookie dough. Don’t be alarmed – they will turn out fine. If they seem WAAAAYYY too greasy though, you may have under measured your flour.
I suggest adding a tablespoon or two or flour and see if that helps.
I bake ALL of my cookies on a silicone baking mat like this one from Target.
I’ll never go back to dirty pans again. And I never have to worry if I have any parchment paper or not!
Silicone baking mats also make an excellent gift for anyone who loves to bake.
Chocolate Cookies Without Butter Substitutions
Here are some ideas for variations or substitutions:
- If you want super chocolatey cookies you can substitute 1 packet of hot cocoa mix for 1/4 cup of the sugar.
- You can use rice bran oil, olive oil, avocado oil or even coconut oil in place of the vegetable oil
- If you don’t have cinnamon on hand, you can definitely leave it out. I just like the depth of flavor it adds.
- If you are feeling adventurous, try adding a 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper to make spicy chocolate cookies!
How To Get Thick & Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Here are my secrets to getting thick and chewy chocolate cookies:
- First, be sure to roll the cookies into a ball and coat thoroughly with the sugar mixture.
- Then place them on the pan at least 2 inches apart and very slightly press them down with your hand. They should still be mostly in a ball shape.
- Be sure to bake them on a cool pan each time – a warm pan will make the cookies spread and flatten out.
- Do NOT overbake these cookies! They should still be soft when you take them out of the oven. They will finish cooking on the pan.
If you follow these suggestions you will get nice thick chocolate cookies without butter.
I hope you enjoy this easy no butter chocolate cookies recipe!
Any questions? Just leave a comment below or send me a message on The Frugal South’s Facebook page.