If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
I know that the classic chocolate chip cookies calls for butter. But I’d put one of these no butter chocolate chip cookies up against a Tollhouse cookie any day!
If you find yourself out of butter (like I often do) then give these chocolate chip cookies without butter a try.
They are an easy and frugal alternative to the standard recipe and I think you’ll be amazed at how delicious they are.
I am trying to make our snacks at home instead of buying them to avoid scary ingredients and save money. Did you know vegetable oil is actually SIX times cheaper than butter? So these cookies are easy on the budget in addition to being delicious.
I use oil instead of butter in my Snickerdoodle cookie recipe as well and I now prefer those to any other Snickerdoodles.
These cookies have a unique taste thanks to using both vanilla and almond extract. If you don’t have any almond extract on hand or have a nut allergy then you can definitely just double up on the vanilla.
Here are some tips for getting the best possible results:
- I use my Danish dough whisk (pictured above) to mix any dough – it works especially well with this recipe! One you get one of these there’s no turning back – it makes mixing dough so easy!
- I recommend chilling the dough for 10-15 minutes, especially if you are making these in the summer. The cookies will hold their shape and not spread as much, making them thicker and chewier.
- I always use a silicone baking mat like this affordable one from Target when baking any kind of cookie. They never stick to the pan and still turn out perfectly browned on the bottom.
- Last, I use a small ice cream scoop to get consistently sized cookies. This makes them cook evenly and all turn out perfectly.
So if you are looking for an easy chocolate chips cookies without butter recipe, you have come to the right place!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the oil, both sugars, eggs, and both extracts in a medium bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Leave at least 1 inch between cookies.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until the edges are starting to brown. Let cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet then transfer to a wire cooling rack.