I was compensated for this post but all opinions are my own.
If you have kids then you likely know how tricky it can be to try to plan a vacation that suits every member of the family.
But luckily, there are plenty of places that you can visit as a family right here in the US that everyone will love. They have some history and culture for the kids, as well as some fun spots like a beach or parks to play in.
In this post, I’ve rounded up some of the best kid-friendly cities that you could visit as a family. It would be great to hear what you think and if there are any others that you would add to the list!
- San Diego: The southern Californian city is good for many reasons, but one of them being the weather. With good weather pretty much guaranteed all year round, it makes it a good choice for kids; things are easier when it is warmer, right? You can hit the beach, as well as parks like SeaWorld or San Diego Zoo. Not to mention Legoland and Torrey Pines State Reserve for hiking.
- San Francisco: Another great city in California for families is San Francisco. There is Golden Gate Park which is a free place to visit, as well as a science museum and great public transport. It is a pretty quirky city too, with fun spots like Lombard Street to see and experience, as well as Alcatraz and nearby Oakland. Check out these top ten family-friendly tours (with prices) from Viator.
- Houston: Coming in at third place is Houston in Texas, simply because there are plenty of things to do in Houston for families. There is a lot of fun to be had in Houston, and there are things for all budgets, which is great for families. The theater scene is great, as well as great food and a pretty diverse culture.
- Orlando: Need we say any more about Orlando? There are so many things for families in Orlando, and when you plan it well, it doesn’t have to cost you a lot either. If theme parks aren’t your thing, there are still lots of other things to see and do, like state parks, watersports, animal reserves, and lots of family-friendly restaurants. Check out all of my Disney World planning resources if you are visiting the mouse house!
- Pittsburgh: The Pennsylvanian city is a great spot for foodies and sports fans, as well as families. There are nature parks aplenty, as well as the famous Pittsburgh Zoo. There are some great museums to visit, that suit all tastes, as well as the rivers, meaning that boat trips are a must.
- Salt Lake City: Salt Lake City in northern Utah deserves a place on the list just because there is plenty to do and see. In winter, there are great places to ski or enjoy winter sports, as well as the Great Salt Lake itself. The salt flats are fun, as well as the arboretum (pictured above). Temple Square is pretty to see and interesting to learn about its place in American history. Places close by like Park City and Sundance are fun to visit too, with the Olympic Park and plenty of things going on.
I hope this post gave you some inspiration for planning a vacation that every member of your family will love!
Tuesday 9th of April 2019
Orlando is my favorite city for a quality family vacation. I'm so happy to see it on the list :)
Tuesday 2nd of October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to provide such an informative and helpful post.
Marc @ Vital Dollar
Friday 31st of August 2018
I live in Pennsylvania about 4 hours from Pittsburgh. I get to Philadelphia a lot more often than Pittsburgh because of location, but Pittsburgh is a great city. The rivers, mountains, and bridges are beautiful and it's a small enough city that you don't have the same headaches as with some of the bigger cities. If you're a sports fan the baseball stadium is a great place to see a game.
Tuesday 14th of August 2018
I know for sure how difficult it is to try to plan a vacation that suits every member of the family!