If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
Here in the South, one of our “good luck” foods to eat on New Year’s Day is black-eyed peas. Well, I prefer to eat my good-luck food in a cheesy dip form if at all possible, so here is my recipe for hot black eyed pea dip that is delicious any time of year.
I seriously look forward to eating this dip every year New Year’s Day. I mean just look at that cheesy goodness! It’s nothing like the bean dip your mama made as a kid, trust me.
I also think it’s a great easy party dip for any time (hello, Super Bowl Sunday) since it only takes about 5 minutes to make in a food processor.
How Do You Make Black Eyed Pea Dip?
This wouldn’t be an easy bean dip recipe if it had a lot of complicated steps, right? Here’s how you make this hot black eyed pea dip:
- Open the cans of black eyed peas and rinse them with cool water in a colander.
- Toss the beans in a food processor along with the cream cheese, spices, and garlic.
- Spread the dip in a pie plate, cover with shredded cheese, and bake for about 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
Easy, right? This recipe uses canned beans but if you want to use dried beans instead, use about 1 1/4 cups dried black-eyed peas that have been soaked and cooked until tender.
I usually make the dip in a pie plate such as this lovely handmade one we got as a wedding present. But any shallow baking dish will work.
I think you’ll enjoy this easy hot black eyed pea recipe so much you’ll find an excuse to make it several times each year, not just on New Year’s Day.
Adapted from Black-Eyed Pea Dip from Epicurious
- Easy No Butter Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Easy Homemade Fresh Salsa Recipe
- 5 Perfect Recipes For Your Labor Day Cookout