If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
Give me some rice noodles and veggies slathered in spicy peanut sauce and I am a happy girl.
When I saw Andrew Zimmern’s Cold Peanut Sesame Noodles I wanted to make it for my family but needed a version that isn’t “numbing and spicy” so my two-year-old can enjoy it, too.
I’ve been working on a version that is kid-friendly while still full of flavor and goodness. Here are the results with some pictures of my version and my recipe!
I’ve made this for vegan folk before and just omitted the eggs. Its just as tasty and satisfying sans-eggs.
The first step is to soak (or cook) your noodles according to the package directions. I prefer wide rice noodles, aka Pad Thai noodles.
While the noodles are soaking, whip up a batch of this amazing peanut sauce. One reason I like this sauce so much is that it comes together quickly with an immersion blender or food processor.
If you don’t have any sesame oil in your cabinet, get some! It adds tons of flavor and can be used at high heat without smoking. You can, of course, add spice to the sauce with dried chiles or crushed red pepper.
Next prep the veggies and garnishes. I used a spiral slicer for the zucchini and carrots and sliced the red pepper into matchsticks.
I forgot to make a few chops to the spiralized zucchini so we had mile-long pieces in the noodles. I suggest chopping them a few times to avoid chasing a string of zucchini while you try to enjoy your noodles.
You can set all of the garnishes out and let folks add whatever they like as they go. Interactive dinner is always fun!
My little one totally loves them, though without any extra sauce. Now here is the recipe… enjoy!
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces rice noodles (Pad Thai) or fettucine
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- Optional for garnish:
- chopped peanuts
- chopped green onion
- chopped cilantro
- Sriracha sauce
- Combine the ginger, garlic, peanut butter, sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce with an immersion blender, food processor, or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Soak/cook noodles according to directions on package.
- Spiralize or finely slice carrots and zucchini. Slice red pepper into thin strips.
- Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large (ideally 14 inch) wok. Add the eggs and cook, breaking up the egg into small pieces. Transfer egg to a plate.
- Heat the other tablespoon of vegetable oil in the wok. Add the vegetables and stir-fry until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the noodles, eggs and about 1/2 – 2/3 of sauce and stir until combined and heated through.
- Transfer to bowls. Drizzle with extra sauce and add garnishes if desired.