Here are the words that frequent my recipe searches lately: “healthy”, “easy”, “one-pot”, “simple”, “fast”… noticing a theme here? 😉 I guess I’ve realized I just don’t have the patience (or time really) for recipes that require 40 minutes of prep or that use every dish in my kitchen!
So in the spirit of fast and easy, here is my take on a favorite comfort food – chicken pot pie. I’ve made it easy by using rotisserie chicken, frozen vegetables, and frozen biscuits for the topping. You can prep and bake it in a single dish. Plus there’s no fake stuff (like cream of chicken soup… what is that stuff anyway?) It comes together in about 10 minutes… now we’re talkin’!
And did I mention it is delicious? I adapted it from Ree’s pot pie recipe in the original Pioneer Woman Cookbook, so you know it’s gonna taste great. I got this cookbook as a wedding present years ago and it is one of my favorite cookbooks of all time.
Ok, on to the recipe…
First chop up the chicken and medium sized onion while you heat up your cast iron skillet (any oven-safe skillet or dutch oven will do). Then melt some butter in the pan. Is it just me, or is there something beautiful about butter melting in a cast iron skillet? Might just be me.
Then add your bag of frozen veggies, onion, and garlic to the skillet. I like this dish packed with veggies, but you could always cut back and only use part of the bag.
After the veggies are cooked through add the flour, chicken, chicken broth, spices and half & half. You could always use milk instead and sometimes I do. Just let that all simmer until it starts to thicken.
Then add your still-frozen biscuits to the top and pop it in the oven. If you use pie crust you won’t have to bake it as long – about 15 minutes, or until the crust starts to turn a golden brown.
And there you have it! According to my husband, it is the best chicken pot pie he’s had. Hope you give it a try!
- Cooked chicken, about 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 16 oz. frozen mixed veggies
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half & half or milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 8 frozen biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop the onion and chicken.
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet or any oven-proof skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and frozen veggies to the skillet. Saute until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken then add the flour and stir to coat.
- Slow mix in the half & half, chicken stock and spices.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and stir occasionally until the mixture begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Top with frozen biscuits. Place in oven and cook until biscuits are golden brown, about 20 minutes.