How To Make Disney World Room Requests + Free Printable!

Posted in Disney World
on January 11, 2019

If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.

disney resort map

Since Disney World resorts are huge and spread out, where your room is located at your resort really matters! You want the room with the best possible location and a view of something nice to look at that’s NOT the parking lot.

Luckily, Disney World hotels accept room requests from guests who want a specific room location or view. There isn’t a consensus out there on the best way to place room requests at Disney resorts, so I’ll share my strategy and my results.

First, the results: I have almost ALWAYS had my requests met on the many trips I’ve made to Disney. I’ve heard lots of folks complain that they didn’t get their room requests met, so clearly I’m doing something right!

Three Ways To Make Disney World Room Requests

disney resort room interior

There are basically three ways to add room requests to your reservation:

• During the online check-in process
  • By calling Disney and asking for the requests to be added to your reservation
  • By faxing a room request directly to your resort’s room assigner (with a free online fax service because you likely don’t have a fax machine!)

Which strategy I use depends on the requests I want to make and what’s available in online check-in.

And it’s also important to note that requests can not be guaranteed by Disney. They will be sure to let you know that requests are not guaranteed any time you make one!

Common Room Requests

little girl in a stroller

I like to be on the ground floor with a stroller

Here are some common requests I make:

• Ground floor (especially when I have a stroller in tow)
  • Close to transportation
  • Close to pool
  • A specific view (such as a fireworks view or water view)
  • Connecting or adjoining rooms

Now if you want a specific view that is available as a room category, the only way to guarantee that you’ll get it is to book that specific room category. I cover the difference between booking categories and room requests in this post about how to get the best rooms at Disney World!

Next, I’ll explain my strategies for making room requests that actually work.

Add A Request During Online Check-in

room location request on disney app

When I complete the online check-in process (which is the same whether you booked your room with DVC points, directly with Disney, or with a travel agent), I always add my top priority room requests if they are available.

Each resort has its own options for requests during online check-in. Common options are specific buildings, specific views, ground floor, and an upper floor. If the requests I want to make are available, then I check them off and I’m done!

If they aren’t available, then I either call or fax Disney to add the requests to my reservation.

Faxing Your Room Request

Many Disney World resorts accept room requests via fax. I have found this to be an especially effective way of getting my room requests met!

giraffes at Animal Kingdom Lodge

The amazing view from our “standard” room at Animal Kingdom Lodge

As an example, for our last stay in a Standard View Studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge, my top priorities were to be close to the lobby and have a partial view of a savanna.

Though rooms with full savanna views are a separate booking category, you can actually see animals from many standard view rooms at both Jambo House and Kidani Village. During online check-in, there was not an option to request a partial savanna view but “close to lobby” was an option, so I just chose that and made my other request in a fax.

I personally have had great success with “faxing” my requests to the room assigner at my resort. I upload my fax in a word document to the website FaxZero.com which then sends it off to my Disney resort (I find the fax number for my resort with a quick web search). I aim to fax my room request 5-7 days before my check-in date.

room request fax example

A sample room request fax

As you can see from my example above, I try to be as brief and cordial as possible. I also mention where I’m from and the fact that I am a repeat visitor because I figure it never hurts to make a personal connection. You can download my fax template in a Microsoft Word document here!

Important Note: Some resorts have stopped accepting room request faxes. The resorts that do NOT accept faxes are:

• Beach Club Villas
  • Boardwalk Inn/Villas
  • Old Key West
  • Saratoga Springs
  • Wilderness Lodge & Villas

This past November I actually received a phone call from the room assigner at Pop Century a few days after I faxed my request. She called to check if the room she assigned would work for us, and it was perfect. In my experience, you can trust that an actual person will see and address your room requests when you send them via fax.

If your resort doesn’t accept faxes or you’d rather call in your request, I’ll cover that next.

Calling Disney To Add Your Request

A third way to add a room request to your reservation is to call Disney at 407-W-DISNEY.

You will have to go through a series of questions before you talk to a person, which I find pretty annoying. When you finally speak with a cast member, be ready with your resort confirmation number. He or she will use this to pull up your reservation and add your requests.

NOTE: I was recently unable to call and add a room request to a Disney resort reservation I made through Orbitz. I was trying to save time by calling but it ended up being a waste of time since they were unable to even add a room request to my reservation since it was booked with a third party. I had to fax my request anyway so I wish I had done that from the get go!

General Disney World Room Request Advice

Port Orelans French Quarter Resort

Port Orleans French Quarter

I try to be more general than specific in my requests. I don’t ask to be in a certain room or section of the resort – instead, I ask to be as close as possible to whatever is most important.

For our stay in a standard room at Caribbean Beach, I considered requesting one of the villages that are closest to the pool, but I instead decided to just request being as close to the pool as possible.

We ended up being placed in a preferred room, which is closest to the pool and normally costs an extra $40 per night. I was glad I made my request as general as possible because I think it contributed to our magical upgrade!

man on room balcony at Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort

Enjoying our perfect room location at Kidani Village

I’ve been lucky to always get my rooms requests met, including getting connecting rooms, special views, and proximity to amenities and transportation. I believe this is mostly due to the fact that I do some background research, limit my requests, and submit my requests in the most effective way possible.

I wish you lots of luck in applying these tips and tricks for your Disney World room requests. If you have any questions please join the conversation in my free private Facebook group The Budget Mouse!

78 Comments

• Erin

Hi Leah! This info is so helpful! We’ll be staying at Caribbean Beach in June 2020-I’m melting just thinking about the heat! Any thoughts on whether requesting to be closer to the Skyliner vs a bus stop would be better? Any other thoughts on specific requests that you would make for this resort? Thanks!

December 12, 2019 at 11:23 am Reply
    • Leah

Hi Erin! Most rooms at CB are close to a bus stop because there are so many stops around the resort. When you go the Riviera Skyliner station will be open which provides direct access to Epcot. I think the Aruba section would be a good request to be close to that Skyliner stop and fairly close to the main building. Hope that helps!

December 16, 2019 at 8:37 am Reply
  • Paul B

I see you stated you occasionally request adjoining rooms. We have a family Xmas vacation booked for a total of 8 people. My brother booked a 1 BR at SSR (4 people) and I have a studio booked at SSR (4 people). My brother (and the other 3) will be coming a week after I arrive. He already called and requested that we be in adjoining rooms (providing both of our reservations #s). Should I also call or is this basically as much as we need to do at this point?

November 11, 2019 at 7:35 am Reply
    • Leah

Hi Paul! I think his request is good enough. You could always add the request to your reservation as well if you’d like – I don’t think it can hurt.

November 12, 2019 at 8:55 am Reply
  • laura

thanks for the reply! I wonder why they tell you not to make any requests when you book through DVC, I am going to go ahead and do it anyways per your suggestion. For the boardwalk if I want to be close to the boardwalk and cresent lake would my first request be “close to lobby”? can i also request higher floor? is there one i should say first? also, if i request close to lobby do you think I will still be near a pool? I want the shortest walk to epcot. any suggestions on how to word this? thanks for any help!!

October 8, 2019 at 7:19 pm Reply
    • Leah

If you want to be close to Epcot you can actually just make that request! You can definitely also request a higher floor. Put the requests in the order of preference, so your most desired one first.

October 10, 2019 at 1:50 pm Reply
  • laura swiatowy

I am staying at boardwalk in february 2020 after having bought points through Davids DVC. They told me not to make any requests at all to the resort as it would override any original request I made with DVC. I could not get a boardwalk view but I did get a garden/water view. I want to be as close to the boardwalk and crescent lake view as possible. What would you suggest I request and should i listen to them and not request anything to the resort? no fax or call? thanks!!!

October 7, 2019 at 8:51 pm Reply
    • Leah

Hi Laura! So you will be able to make room requests during online check-in for your stay on rented points. You can even go in and check the options ahead of time if you want. If what you want to request isn’t an option there then you can definitely send a fax. I have done this many times when renting points and everything works out. 🙂 The DVC rooms are on the side of the resort closest to Hollywood Studios. I’d probably request to be as close to the lobby as possible to be close to the bus stop and drinks refills at the Boardwalk bakery. Hope that helps!

October 8, 2019 at 11:08 am Reply
  • Ilene Feldmeier

Hi, thanks for all the info. I used to use touring plans and they did fax for you. Figuring out how to do it myself now. Your template and tips are great!

January 2019, I stayed at OKW and touring plans said they faxed in my room request. It was granted (YEAH!) but you claim OKW doesn’t accept room request faxes. How do you know who is currently allowing this? Do the resorts post their policy somewhere?

Also, how do you find resort fax numbers? I’m not having any luck for many of them. Thanks!

August 24, 2019 at 10:07 am Reply
    • Leah

Hi Ilene! According to AllEars.net any resort that just has DVC rooms no longer accepts room request faxes. Now I have not tried making one myself recently so I can’t confirm that this is true. I don’t know what the current options for requesting rooms during online check-in is like for OKW, but if you find that the options don’t allow you to request what you want you can either call or fax. Here are the fax numbers for each resort: https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/fax-numbers

August 24, 2019 at 5:18 pm Reply
  • BRIAN

Thanks for the useful information!
    If I make my specific room requests prior to online check-in, what will I do during online check-in? (Wouldn’t the room have already been assigned based on the prior request ? I’ve stayed at Disney resorts many times, but this will be my first time with online check-in.)

August 23, 2019 at 10:03 am Reply
    • Leah

Hi Brian! I usually leave the room request section blank during online check-in if I have already called/faxed my request in. Have a great trip!

August 24, 2019 at 7:54 am Reply
  • Jennifer

So we should wait until a few days out to request not send it the month before?

August 12, 2019 at 12:28 pm Reply
    • Leah

I suggest 5-7 days before check-in if you are sending a fax. You can call Disney and add the request at any point.

August 13, 2019 at 7:09 am Reply
  • Sarah McDonnell

Any success with requests made with third party reservations? Plan to use hotels.com for Venture 10x rewards, but would love to try to request a refurbished room. Not a big deal if we don’t get it, but would like to try :). Will be paying for a preferred room.

July 29, 2019 at 2:16 pm Reply
    • Leah

Hi Sarah! You can definitely make a room request when you book with a third party. I mostly book that way myself. Once you have your reservation linked to My Disney Experience it really doesn’t matter how you booked. You make a room request the same way. 🙂

July 30, 2019 at 6:07 am Reply
  • Hillary Brown

Hi we are staying at the beach club garden view in August but the only rooms that have been available have been those . We are looking to have something closest since my mother is having knee surgery in September . What should I request to have the closest garden view to the main lobby?

July 21, 2019 at 8:31 pm Reply
    • Leah

Hi Hillary and yes, I would definitely request to have a room as close as possible to the lobby. If you fax your room request to the Beach Club you can mention the reason in your request.

July 23, 2019 at 9:01 am Reply
  • Justin

I appreciate the reply! I will skip online check-in and instead call in my request now and fax my request 6 days prior to our check-in. Thanks again!

June 16, 2019 at 11:13 am Reply